Thursday, March 27, 2014

positive/oshpark/whatelse

Some updates...

I had wanted to try out oshpark for something, just to get a reference as to how long it actually takes to get something delivered back to Canada. So I made a small smd version of the hotcake fuzz as per the vintage version with a switch instead of a tone knob. Result: It took just under 3 weeks from ordering for it to show up.


Anyway. So here that is, seems like OSH is a good deal for small boards, but if you look up how much 100sq inches costs at say silver circuits or gold phoenix, it doesn't take that big a board for the price to become pretty competitive (for 2 sided). But for now I am just doing some simple boards to practice a bit more with PCB design and get quicker at it as well as the workflow from idea to product. The next boards are already on the way for a simple mixer/splitter then who knows.

Trying to get a bit more creative with the engraving/powder coating scheme/faster with cam software which was a bit foreign to me until this year. This one is a picture of a tree but I did not paint it yet.

And hey what happened to Count to five? Don't worry, It is still happening for sure, the patches all worked out pretty nicely. Actual demo actually soon.

And also I finally got my final Thesis submission approved so time to get cracking on some other longer term goals. I have been working with a friend a bit on some devices using the STM32 series mcu's instead of PIC32 over the last 2 months. Although I don't have much problem with PIC, I am just trying to broaden my embedded expertise. I am also doing a project using PSOC 4 from Cypress which is a pretty neat platform. So there may be a few random things soon that aren't exactly pedals but still related to music gear some way.

1 comment:

nick said...

Yes! Looks interesting for sure...